Samuel Cox, 1756-1832
Cox, given 100 acres by the state of KY for his service in the Revolutionary War, settled here for the abundance of clean water. Cox resided here with his wife Martha and their eight children. The city was known by the names of Spring Ford, Cox's Crossing, Whitley Courthouse, Williamsburgh and, eventually, Williamsburg.
Sponsored by the City of Williamsburg.
Erected 2018 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2541.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 44.627′ N, 84° 9.517′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Kentucky, in Whitley County. Marker is on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott's Raid (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Named, 1818 (about 300 feet away); "Aunt Julia" Marcum (about 500 feet away); Clyde V. and Patricia Bennett Building (approx. half a mile away); Roburn Hall (approx. half a mile away); Cumberland College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Roy Martis Chappell (approx. one mile away); First White Men Here (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . . Samuel Cox, 1756-1832. (Submitted on July 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.