Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Robert J. Calder
Calder immediately joined Texas forces and the cause for Texas Independence, and was among colonists who took up arms against Mexico in October 1835. He was with Gen. Stephen F. Austin's forces during the Battle of Concepción in San Antonio and accompanied Capt. James Walker Fannin on a recruiting mission. In 1836, he joined the army at Gonzales and became Captain of K Company, First Regiment of Texas Volunteers, serving in that capacity at the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21 of that year. Following the Texans defeat of Gen. Santa Anna and his troops, Gen. Sam Houston dispatched Calder and three other men to take news of the victory to interim government officials on Galveston Island.
In 1836, Texas President David G. Burnet appointed Calder Marshal of Texas. Calder also received 640-acres for his military
In 1881, Calder unveiled a Galveston monument memorializing the nine Texans killed at the Battle of San Jacinto. Calder's many years of service as a public official are indicative of his commitment to Texas, first as a republic and later as a state.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13337.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 10.123′ N, 95° 25.914′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Velasco Street (Business State Highway 288) and West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on North Velasco Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Cedar Street, Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (here, next to this marker); The Brazos Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Brazoria County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugar Kettle (within shouting distance of this marker); Angleton Independent School District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeny Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
Also see . . . Calder, Robert James - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.