Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Calhoun County Participation During World War II
The army installed a surveillance system between October 1940 and January 1941 in Port O'Connor, Port Lavaca and Olivia. Citizens were trained to identify and report airplanes within view. The Port Lavaca tower observed a man using a fishing pole to put up an antenna; he was transmitting information to German U-boats in the Gulf of Mexico. Turtle and Matagorda Bay provided shoreline for the division of artillery
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17137.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II.
Location. 28° 36.788′ N, 96° 37.568′ W. Marker is in Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ann Street and West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 South Ann Street, Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calhoun County Hurricanes (here, next to this marker); Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr. (here, next to this marker); San Antonio & Mexican Gulf Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wood Barrels of Cement Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Sinai Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beach Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Sunlight Girls Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.