Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Castle Rock in Douglas County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

City Hotel

 
 
City Hotel Marker with another plaque below. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 1, 2017
1. City Hotel Marker with another plaque below.
Inscription.  
This property
has been designated as a

Historic Landmark

by the Castle Rock
Historic Preservation Board

City Hotel
1874

 
Erected by the Castle Rock Historic Preservation Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: LandmarksNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 39° 22.43′ N, 104° 51.527′ W. Marker is in Castle Rock, Colorado, in Douglas County. Marker is on North Perry Street south of Fifth Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 North Perry Street, Castle Rock CO 80104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Keystone Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Good Roads in Colorado / The Great North-South Highway (about 600 feet away); The Rock / Gray Gold (about 600 feet away); Victoria’s House (about 700 feet away); Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Rock Park (approx. half a mile away); Founders Village (approx. 2˝ miles away); Russellville - History of Franktown / Franktown Country - Timber Industry (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castle Rock.
 
Regarding City Hotel. The hotel was originally built by Thomas Harris in the Town of New Memphis (located where the Douglas County Justice Center now stands along East Plum Creek) in the early 1870s. In 1877 the building was moved to its present location on what was the main thoroughfare of Castle Rock, only one block from the train depot. Known as the Harris Hotel in New Memphis, it became the Castle Rock Hotel. After Mayor Harris’ death in 1884 (he was killed by a runaway steer in the streets of Castle Rock), Philip Crenshaw acquired the hotel and renamed it the City Hotel. Note the original main entryway under the front gable and the original double hung wooden windows evenly spaced on the front and north facades.
 
The former City Hotel. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 1, 2017
2. The former City Hotel.
View north from the former City Hotel towards the Castle Rock at Rock Park. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 1, 2017
3. View north from the former City Hotel towards the Castle Rock at Rock Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120797

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024