Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hamilton County

 
 
Hamilton County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 27, 2018
1. Hamilton County Marker
Inscription.  Created February 2, 1842 from Montgomery and Houston counties

Recreated January 22, 1858
Organized August 2, 1858

Named in honor of General James Hamilton, 1786-1857 Lawyer and Governor of South Carolina Appointed diplomatic agent to Europe by President Lamar

Hamilton, the county seat

 
Erected 1936. (Marker Number 2346.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 22, 1858.
 
Location. 31° 43.252′ N, 98° 7.142′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker is on U.S. 281, on the right when traveling south. Marker is north of Hamilton, west of US 281 in a roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ann Whitney (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Thatcher Baker (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Browder Gentry (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Ann Whitney (approx. ¾ mile away); John J. ("Jack") Durham (approx. ¾ mile away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Leon River Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hamilton National Bank (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Hamilton County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 27, 2018
2. Hamilton County Marker
Historic Roadside Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 27, 2018
3. Historic Roadside Park
Marker is located in a historic roadside park completed in 1936.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120949

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024