Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The War Brings Change

 
 
The War Brings Change Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 11, 2018
1. The War Brings Change Marker
Inscription.  When the nation entered World War II, Medford transformed into a military town. Construction of Camp White, a nearby Army training post, began about six weeks after the December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. The Army also took over the city airport, and Medford buzzed with wartime activity.

As construction began on Camp White, around 10,000 workers, followed by nearly 40,000 soldiers, flooded the area, bringing prosperity back to the city.

Increased demand for lumber during and after the war sparked a boom for Medford’s timber industry. With railroad access and several expanding mills, the city became the regional focus for wood products processing and shipping. From the 1940s until the mid-‘70s, timber production drove Medford’s economy and became a way of life for many residents. Following earlier patterns of boom and bust, economic and environmental issues in the 1970s and ‘80s eventually ended Medford’s timber reign.

As the lumber industry lagged, the health industry grew. The construction of two major hospitals, Rogue valley Memorial in 1958 and Providence in 1966, set Medford well on its way
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to becoming the major regional medical center that it is today.

New neighborhoods built to meet the growing demand for post-war housing expanded Medford’s boundaries. Over the next several decades, shopping malls and suburban living pulled day-to-day activity away from the city center.

Support from the Medford Urban Renewal Agency, in cooperation with businesses and property owners, is rejuvenating the downtown historic district, now on the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration projects, infrastructure improvements, and community events are helping to build a future Medford grounded in its forward-looking and diverse past.
 
Erected by City of Medford; Southern Oregon Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1941.
 
Location. 42° 19.595′ N, 122° 52.308′ W. Marker is in Medford, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Central Avenue and East Main Street, on the left when traveling south on North Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford OR 97501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Medford Boomed As Orchards Bloomed (here, next to this marker); A Town is Born (here, next to this marker); Cuthbert Building (about
The War Brings Change Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 11, 2018
2. The War Brings Change Marker
Markers can be seen on the side of the Haskins Drug Store building in the distance. View is looking southeast from the corner of Central and Main.
400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medford Auto Company Building (about 600 feet away); Historic Land Survey Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Medford Townsite (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scion of the Washington Elm (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Shone-Charley House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
 
More about this marker. Marker is one of three mounted on the side of the historic Haskins Drug Store building and facing Vogel Plaza.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120990

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024