Cooperstown in Otsego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Home of James Fenimore Cooper
Bvilt By William Cooper,
The Fovnder Of Cooperstown, in 1798.
The Home Of
James Fenimore Cooper
Where He Lived From 1834
To The Day Of His Death
September 14th, 1851.
Destroyed by Fire in 1853.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 14, 1851.
Location. 42° 41.958′ N, 74° 55.375′ W. Marker is in Cooperstown, New York, in Otsego County. Marker is on Fair Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cooperstown NY 13326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Croghan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction (about 300 feet away); Pomeroy Place (about 500 feet away); Susan B. Anthony (about 600 feet away); Emancipation Day (about 600 feet away); Oldest Church (about Tunnicliff Inn (about 700 feet away); Doubleday Field (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooperstown.
Regarding Otsego Hall. Located in the village of Cooperstown between present-day Main and Church Streets, Otsego Hall was built by William Cooper in 1799 and was the largest house west of Albany for many years. After the death of William Cooper and his widow, the mansion was vacant for many years. In June 1834, James Fenimore Cooper resolved to reopen the house after an absence of nearly sixteen years. The building had been long closed and falling into decay. He had it remodeled in a castellated Gothic style. The ceiling on the first floor was raised from ten feet to thirteen feet. Also Gothic windows and battlements were installed. In this, Cooper was assisted by his friend, Samuel F. B. Morse, a painter and inventor, who designed two towers for the front and east sides of the structure. At first, Cooper spent his winters in New York City and summered in Cooperstown, but eventually he made Otsego Hall his permanent residence. Cooper died in 1851, and after the family sold it, the mansion burned down in 1853, and the surrounding property was sold by the heirs. His
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2018, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 6, 2018, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.