Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Bank Building
A typical late 19th Century Texas commercial building, with cast iron front and pressed tin ornamentation. Erected for bank developed in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915). To aid his customers, Mayes in 1880s took care of cash and currency, issued loans and credit; in 1891 sold this business to First National Bank of Crockett, which he and H.F. Moore were organizing. This structure, built 1893-94, was sold 1954 to Mary Aldrich, abstractor.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11096.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 31° 19.057′ N, 95° 27.407′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on East Goliad Avenue (State Highway 7) east of South 5th Street (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 East Goliad Avenue, Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank of Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Five Courthouses of Houston County (about 300 feet away); Site of the Crockett Hotel (about 300 feet away); W.V. McConnell Building (about 400 feet away); Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property (about 500 feet away); The David Crockett Spring (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.