City of Westminster in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Theatreland - Heart of the Performing Arts in London
The Lyric Theatre opened in 1888
with the comic opera Dorothy and
has since developed a tradition of
drama, light comedy and popular
musicals The great Italian actress
Eleonora Duse made her debut
here in Camille in 1898
Erected by City of Westminster, Society of West End Theatre.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 51° 30.676′ N, 0° 8.013′ W. Marker is in City of Westminster, England, in Greater London County. Marker is on Shaftesbury Avenue just west of Rupert Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Shaftesbury Avenue, City of Westminster, England W1D 7ES, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Apollo Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Globe Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Wardour Street Clubs (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Pizza Express (about The 2i's Coffee Bar (about 150 meters away); Mont Blanc Restaurant (about 150 meters away); John William Polidori (about 150 meters away); Edmund Burke (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
More about this marker. The marker is difficult to read - the "1898" date at the end of the text is speculative.
Also see . . . Lyric Theatre, London (Wikipedia). "The Lyric Theatre is a West End theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue in the City of Westminster....Designed by the architect C. J. Phipps, it was built by the producer Henry Leslie with profits from the Alfred Cellier and B. C. Stephenson hit, Dorothy (he made £100,000 from this opera), which he transferred from the Prince of Wales Theatre to open his new venue on 17 December 1888. It was the second theatre to be constructed on this stretch of Shaftesbury Avenue and is now the oldest in the street. The foyer and bars were refurbished in 1932–33, and the facade was restored in 1994. At present it seats 915 on four levels, although originally it was designed with a seating capacity of 1,306." (Submitted on August 7, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.