Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sterling in Rice County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Cooper Hall

Built in 1887

 

— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —

 
Cooper Hall NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
1. Cooper Hall NRHP Marker
Inscription.  

has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
————————
American Presbyterian
and Reformed Historical Site
No. 250

Registered by the
Presbyterian Historical Society
Philadelphia, Pa.

(Marker Number 250.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationMan-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list.
 
Location. 38° 13.275′ N, 98° 12.473′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Kansas, in Rice County. Marker is on Broadway (State Highway 14/96) north of Cooper Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Cooper Hall is on the Sterling College campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 West Cooper Avenue, Sterling KS 67579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Meade Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Bulletin
Cooper Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
2. Cooper Hall Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); The Emporium (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Landis Hollinger Mercantile (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Monroe Apartments (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Mincer Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Santa Fe Depot (approx. one mile away); The African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
 
Regarding Cooper Hall. Cooper Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. This building is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Cooper Hall was erected in 1887 as the first building of the westernmost college of the United Presbyterian Church of North America (UPCNA). The building and college (first named Cooper Memorial College) were named for Rev. Joseph Tate Cooper (1813-86),
Cooper Hall and Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
3. Cooper Hall and Markers
a Pennsylvania UPCNA pastor, editor, and Allegheny Theological Seminary professor. The first president of the college was Albert N. Porter. The second president, Rev. Francis M. Spencer, also served as pastor of the Second United Presbyterian Church, which met in Cooper Hall. In 1948 when a tornado damaged the tower, it was repaired and shortened. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

 
Also see . . .
1. Cooper Hall National Register Nomination. (Submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Sterling College. (Submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Cooper Hall image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
4. Cooper Hall
Sterling College Warriors "Excalibur" Monument east of Cooper Hall image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
5. Sterling College Warriors "Excalibur" Monument east of Cooper Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 2, 2020