Harrisville in Alcona County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1883, Russell Alger formed the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad. In 1895 it was combined with the Alpena and Northern to form the Detroit and Mackinaw Rail Company. In 1900 depot sites were selected at Greenbush and Harrisville. Scheduled passenger service began on December 15, 1901. The following month the new cut stone depot was completed in Harrisville. Passenger service between Bay City and Alpena continued until March 31, 1951.
Erected by Alcona County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 44° 39.746′ N, 83° 17.441′ W. Marker is in Harrisville, Michigan, in Alcona County. Marker is on East Dock Street 0.1 miles east of North Lake Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located near the east end of Dock Street, on the Harrisville Railroad Depot grounds, near the southeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alcona County Review (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harrisville Consolidated School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenbush School (approx. 5˝ miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, painted metal plaque, mounted above eye-level, on the tall, wooden Harrisville Railroad Depot sign.
Regarding Harrisville Depot. The building is dilapidated, in somewhat poor condition, and appears to be abandoned at this time.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Train Depot in Harrisville. Built in 1901 for the Detroit and Mackinac Railway Company, this cut stone depot was a busy place any day of the week with the bustling lumber business in and around Harrisville. Daily trains arrived or departed to destinations such as Detroit or Cheboygan. As the lumber business diminished and automobile use increased, rail travel became less and less common. The last passenger train left the station on March 31, 1951. Mail and freight service continued through the early 1960's, after which the building was used for occasional storage by the railroad. This depot is one of the few remaining in northern Michigan. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Detroit & Mackinac Stone Depot in Harrisville. (This link presents several excellent (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.