West Union in Adams County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Presbyterian Church
— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
The First Presbyterian Church of West Union, built in 1810, is known as the "Church of the Governors." Although the date is uncertain, the congregation was organized circa 1800 on Thomas Kirker's land on Eagle Creek, about three miles from West Union. Kirker, Ohio's second governor, was influential in organizing the congregation and raising funds for the construction of the building. Stonemason, Thomas Metcalfe, Kentucky governor from 1828-1832, was awarded the contract to build the walls for $250.00; the total construction cost was $500.00. The first three regular ministers - William Williamson, Dyer Burgess, and John P. Van Dyke - all held strong anti-slavery sentiment that was felt throughout the congregation. During the Civil War, soldiers of the 70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, a regiment of recruits from Adams County and eastern Brown County, were said to have been temporarily quartered in the church before leaving West Union in 1861.
Born in Ireland in 1760, Thomas Kirker settled in Adams County in 1794 and
(Ohio Bi-Centennial logo)
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The First Presbyterian Church, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-1 / 115.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 38° 47.609′ N, 83° 32.634′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 South Second Street, West Union OH 45693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowboy Copas / The Oklahoma Cowboy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bradford Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafferty Funeral Collection (approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer (approx. 0.3 miles away); West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham (approx. 0.3 miles away); Adams County Heritage Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society (approx. 4.8 miles away); Zane Trace (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Union.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 157 times since then. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 3. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.