Hancock in Houghton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall
Hancock (marker side 1)
The Quincy Mining Company platted Hancock in 1859, a decade after the company began mining Keweenaw copper. While many copper towns boomed and busted within a short period of time, Hancock remained stable, incorporating as a city in 1875. By 1897 Hancock’s four thousand citizens wanted a government building that would reflect the city’s prosperity and stature. The Quincy company sold this lot to the city in 1898 and in January 1899 the Town Hall and Fire Hall opened.
Town Hall and Fire Hall (marker side 2)
The Marquette firm of Charlton, Gilbert and Demar designed Hancock’s Town Hall and Fire Hall. Completed in 1899, the building housed city offices, the fire department, and the marshall’s office and jail. Built of Jacobsville sandstone with stepped and curved gables, it exhibits Richardsonian Romanesque, Dutch, and Flemish influences. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Registered Local Site No. 519
Property of the State of Michigan, 1999
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L519.)
Marker series. This Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 47° 7.604′ N, 88° 35.09′ W. Marker is in Hancock, Michigan, in Houghton County. Marker is at the intersection of Quincy Street (U.S. 41) and Montezuma Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the entrance to the Hancock City Hall & Police Department building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 399 Quincy Street, Hancock MI 49930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 321 Quincy Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Finnish American National Historical Archive & Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Main / Suomi College (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Finnish Newspaper in America (approx. ¼ mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Houghton (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clearing the Way (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancock.
More about this marker. This is a two-sided marker: Hancock (side 1) and Town Hall and Fire Hall (side 2).
Regarding Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall. Michigan State Historic Site (1977), National Register of Historic Places in (1981)
Also see . . .
1. Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall. Many buildings in Houghton County still reflect how prosperous the area was when mining was king at the end of the 19th century. One of the easiest to spot on US-41 in Hancock after crossing the Portage (Submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall. The Hancock Town Hall is a two-story building constructed of rock-faced red Jacobsville Sandstone set in even courses, exhibiting Richardsonian Romanesque, Dutch, and Flemish architectural influences. It has a gable roof and a square tower with belfry at one corner; the tower originally had a steep conical roof. The main facade is dominated by a broadly arched window filled with diagonally paned glass and flanked by smaller windows. Built: 1899. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert & Demar. (Submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.