Southampton Township in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Middle Spring Church
Erected 1950 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. (Marker Number 104.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1738.
Location. 40° 4.901′ N, 77° 32.477′ W. Marker is in Southampton Township, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Middle Spring Road, 0.2 miles north of Walleye Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 135 Middle Spring Rd, Shippensburg PA 17257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Fallen Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Middle Spring Presbyterian Church Commemorative Marker (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lt. James F. Bearer, USMC Memorial TreesOne-Room Schoolhouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Locust Grove Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); On this hill stood Fort Morris (approx. 2.3 miles away); This tablet is placed (approx. 2.3 miles away); William C. Ashwell (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southampton Township.
Regarding Middle Spring Church. Middle Spring Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
As early as 1736, preaching services were held on the banks of Middle Spring Creek. Scotch-Irish settlers constructed the first meeting house in 1738. The present red brick building, erected in 1847, is the fourth used by the congregation on this site. Thomas Craighead, the first pastor, was succeeded by John Blair and then Thomas Cooper, who served as a chaplain in the Revolutionary War. Three cemeteries surround the church, the oldest dating to the 1730s.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.