Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1949 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. (Marker Number 54.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
Location. 40° 12.09′ N, 77° 11.347′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Hanover Street (U.S. 11) and High Street (Pennsylvania Route 74), on the right when traveling south on Hanover Street. Marker is near northwest corner of intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 N Hanover Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial Courtyard (a few steps from this marker); Episcopal SquareHistorical Directory of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shelling of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); Forbes Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland County (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shelling of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The The Westminster Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1734 at Meeting House Springs, First Church's building in Carlisle was designed
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on December 19, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on December 19, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.