Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
D'Iberville in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Old Brickyard

 
 
The Old Brickyard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
1. The Old Brickyard Marker
Inscription.  In 1721 the French colonial headquarters made its fourth move on the Coast: Old Biloxi to New Biloxi with the intentions of building a permanent fort of bricks. Abundant ideal brick clay, was discovered here, the best of four resource sites. After starting production, the fort was cancelled and the headquarters moved to the Mississippi River–to become New Orleans. Bricks were in demand (the Ursuline Nun's Convent is one of the structures). In 1726, under Captain Joseph Moran, 400,000 bricks were produced at this yard. Blacks, Indians, Croatians, Spaniards, Swiss, Austrians, Irish and English eventually worked the yard. For two centuries the operations changed ownership four times: First, Colin J. McRae. After his death his partner and manager, another Joseph Moran, sold the yard to Robert Kendall of New Orleans. (The original and extended mineral rights were of land owned by McRae, Hanson and Alsbury.) After a major fire halted operations in 1853, the Commercial Bank of Natchez foreclosed and sold the brickyard (one story dwelling, kitchen, Negro and Indian cabins, brickyard and shed) to James Robb for $25,000. The yard
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
resumed operations as the Imperial Brickyard until 1908. It never reopened. Evidence of the old brickyard is quite visible today.
 
Erected 2017 by the D'Iberville Historical Society, City of D'Iberville and Dale Greenwell.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1721.
 
Location. 30° 25.686′ N, 88° 54.003′ W. Marker is in D'Iberville, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is on 7th Avenue north of Moran Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7th Avenue, Diberville MS 39540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Cruz Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harvey's Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Quave Commercial Strip (approx. half a mile away); The Five Trails (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi (approx. 0.6 miles away); D'Iberville High School Original Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Land and Legend of the Cross (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Crossing (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Iberville.
 
The Old Brickyard Marker looking south on 7th Avenue towards the Back Bay. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
2. The Old Brickyard Marker looking south on 7th Avenue towards the Back Bay.
The Old Brickyard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
3. The Old Brickyard Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122401

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024