Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
D'Iberville in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi

1699     1920

 
 
Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
1. Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi Marker
Inscription.  
This stone marks the site of
Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi,
the first French settlement in the
lower south, established in the
name of Louis XIV King of France,
by Pierre Le Moyne D'Iberville
April 8, 1699.

Erected by the Gulf Coast Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution,
April 8, 1920, in commemoration of the
Two-Hundred and Twenty-First Anniversary
of the founding of the colony.

 
Erected 1920 by the Gulf Coast Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 8, 1699.
 
Location. 30° 25.682′ N, 88° 53.425′ W. Marker is in D'Iberville, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Church Avenue and Gorenflo Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 9600 Church Avenue, Diberville MS 39540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. D'Iberville High School Original Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Five Trails (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Quave Commercial Strip (about 600 feet away); The Land and Legend of the Cross (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harvey's Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Santa Cruz Landing (approx. half a mile away); The Old Brickyard (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Iberville.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on Fort Maurepas. (Submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi Marker looking south towards Biloxi. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
2. Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi Marker looking south towards Biloxi.
Fort Maurepas Stone image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
3. Fort Maurepas Stone
This stone marks the site of Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi, erected by the Gulf Coast Chapter, April 8, 1920, in commemoration of the 221st anniversary of the Founding of the Colony.

from the DAR Magazine, Vol. LVI, No. 1, January 1922.
Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi stone, looking north. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
4. Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi stone, looking north.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3. submitted on April 30, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122437

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024