Through the terms of his will, British absentee landowner Samuel Gist (c.1723-1815) freed his 350 Virginia slaves and provided funds for their relocation, the purchase of land and homes, and the establishment of schools and churches. Gist's executors acquired over 2,000 acres of land in Ohio, including two large tracts in Scott and Eagle townships in Brown County in 1819. In 1831 and 1835, an agent of the Gist estate purchased 207 acres in Fairfield Township (now Penn Township), Highland County, and divided the acreage into thirty-one lots. The Gist Settlement in Highland County was the last to be purchased and settled. In 1857, the Ohio Legislature granted the Highland County Court of Common Pleas control over the freedmen's trust monies. In 2003 descendants of the freed Gist slaves still inhabited part of the original settlement.
Original lot owners in the Fairfield Township settlement: Lot 1- Rosanna Good 11- Henry Turner 21 & 22 - Hester Day 2- Mary J. Good 12- Joel Mitchell 23- John Rollins 3- T.T. Lawson 13- Nancy Carey 24- Peter Rollins 4- Elizabeth Carey 14- John Carey 25- Alexander Hailstock
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The P & G Fund, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-36.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 18.801′ N, 83° 38.919′ W. Marker is near New Vienna, Ohio, in Highland County. Marker is at the intersection of Gist Settlement Road (County Route 291) and Rollins Lane (County Route 430), on the left when traveling south on Gist Settlement Road. marker is in Gist Cemetery at Carthagenia Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11041 Gist Rd, New Vienna OH 45159, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Highland World War II Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kenton and Tecumseh Directional MarkerGrove-Geff Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Lincoln School (approx. 7.6 miles away); Milton Caniff (approx. 7.7 miles away); C. S. Bell Foundry and Showroom (approx. 7.9 miles away); Highland County Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.9 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 452 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.