Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Iola in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939

 
 
The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
1. The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker
side 1
Inscription.  
Side 1
The Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2012. It dates to Peter M. Johnson, Ed A. Leer, William Selmer, and Erick Solberg – all of rural Iola – and K. M. Sannes of rural Scandinavia signing articles of incorporation on May 6, 1937, establishing the Waupaca Electric Cooperative. In September, 1938, a Rural Electrification Administration $151,000 construction loan was approved. About 40 miles of distribution lines were surveyed and staked in early 1939; the first utility pole was set on May 25.

In November, 1938, the cooperative had hired its first employee, Louis Rasmussen as construction superintendent. The former Olson Motor Sales garage situated at this South Main St. location was leased as its operating location in December. Membership applications from 147 locations along 139 miles of lines had been accepted and built when service delivery began at the Louie Myers farm on Oct. 3, 1939; 83 in the vicinity of Iola and Scandinavia were energized that first day. Another 276 miles of lines were constructed to serve 376 additional locations, mostly in southwest Shawano
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and southeast Marathon counties.

Side 2
The Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative resulted on when the Waupaca Electric Coop and the Marathon-Portage electric Coop merged on Sept. 3, 1948. Their combined service membership was 1,748; 1,486 farms, 227 non-farms, and 35 commercial and public buildings. As the cooperative expanded, it was compelled to acquire and occupy the former Phil Neidert Chrysler-Plymouth dealership’s Depot Street building in January, 1952, its location for the next 59 years.

By 2009 CWEC’s Iola location was bursting at the seams: the cooperative had grown from 2,000 members, 15 employees, and 4 million kilowatt-hours annual sales in 1952, to 8,300 meter locations, 30 employees, and 100 million kilowatt-hours annual sales. With the service area by then spread over northwest Waupaca, northeast Portage, southeast Marathon and southwest Shawano counties, a new more centralized facility was built near Rosholt. Ground was broken at that new location on June 24, 2010: it was inaugurated for the cooperative’s annual meeting on April 9, 2011.
 
Erected 2017 by Iola Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkIndustry & Commerce
The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
2. The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker
side 2
. In addition, it is included in the Rural Electrification 💡 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 6, 1937.
 
Location. 44° 30.389′ N, 89° 7.864′ W. Marker is in Iola, Wisconsin, in Waupaca County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Iola Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Marker is located in front of Village Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 180 South Main Street, Iola WI 54945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iola’s Dr. Loope (within shouting distance of this marker); Clifford Marshall Thompson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); R. I. Anderson Machine Shop (about 400 feet away); 1999 Father's Day Fire (about 400 feet away); Iola Hospital (about 400 feet away); Iola Cancer & Tumor Sanitarium (about 400 feet away); Iola’s Early History (about 500 feet away); Birthplace of Numismatic News (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Iola.
 
Additional keywords. Rural Electrification Administration
 
Close up of photo on side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
3. Close up of photo on side 1
1940 employees: Hugh Patterson, Ruth Olson, Truman Dahlen, and Dale Rasmussen.
Close up of marker on side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
4. Close up of marker on side 2
Louie Myers Farm Home (E2140 Lake Road).
The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
5. The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker
looking south along Main Street. Village Hall is at right.
The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 11, 2018
6. The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 Marker
side 2 looking north along Main Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 12, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=123206

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024