Hungerford in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. D. Hudgins Ranch
After Joel's death, Rachel and their four sons began to buy more land and expand the ranching operation. Josiah Dawson (J. D.) Hudgins (d. 1928) headed the family's interests. He also owned a store, cotton gin, sawmill, and grew rice. In 1897 the four brothers divided the family property and operated independently.
In 1915 J. D. and his children purchased their first purebred Brahman cows, descendants of the herd brought from India by A. P. Borden in 1906. J. D.'s son Walter Hudgins (d. 1943) helped organize the American Brahman Breeders Association in 1924.
The Hudgins Ranch acquired the bull "Manso" in 1933. Manso's descendants are the cornerstone stock from which the ranch's American Gray Brahman herd was developed, now one of the largest registered American Gray Brahman herds in the world. Cattle from this ranch have been exported to over 42 countries and 34 states in the U.S. In 1962
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2662.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 29° 23.936′ N, 96° 4.627′ W. Marker is in Hungerford, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is at the intersection of Business U.S. 59 and East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business . Mounted on a granite monument, between flagpoles, with three other markers. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hungerford TX 77448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford (here, next to this marker); Site of Quinan Community (here, next to this marker); Site of Post West Bernard Station (here, next to this marker); The Dan Rather House (approx. 4 miles away); Shearith Israel Synagogue (approx. 5 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Wharton (approx. 5.2 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 5.3 miles away); St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hungerford.
Also see . . .
1. From the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. The J.D. Hudgins Ranch Today. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.