St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This tabby slave cabin of Retreat Plantation, now the Sea Island Golf Course, was one of eight cabins that stood in this area, known as New Field. The slaves who lived here tilled the Sea Island cotton fields nearby. Each of these cabins was 48 x 18 ft. with a partition and a chimney in the center. They stood about 300 feet apart and were shaded by beautiful live oak trees. Retreat Plantation, originally the property of the Spalding family, was sold to Major William Page whose daughter. Anna Matilda Page, married Hon. Thomas Butler King, M.C.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 31° 9.554′ N, 81° 23.311′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Frederica Road and Demere Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1550 Frederica Road, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Bloody Marsh (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Clash Of Cultures (approx. 0.6 miles away); Demere Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); Retreat Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); S.S. Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. 1.3 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Retreat Plantation, St. Simons Island, Georgia
Also see . . . Retreat Plantation, St. Simons Island, Georgia. The plantation was adjoined by another, aptly named New Field, lined with a street of tabby cabins for the field hands. One cabin is still standing at the intersection of Frederica and Demere Roads, converted into a gift shop named “The Tabby House.” (Submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.