Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glenville in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Seeley House

 
 
Seeley House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, October 24, 2018
1. Seeley House Marker
Inscription.  Farm of John F. Seeley, 19th Century broom corn grower, broom manufacturer. First bridge erected here in 1855 by Volney Freeman
 
Erected 2016 by Town of Glenville.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 42° 49.899′ N, 73° 55.851′ W. Marker is in Glenville, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker can be reached from Freeman's Bridge Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker can be seen in the Freemans Bridge Fishing Access Site, next to the Lighthouse Restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schenectady NY 12302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. ALCo's Legacy (approx. ¼ mile away); The American Locomotive Company (approx. ¼ mile away); World War II (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Big Boy" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Casey Jones (approx. half a mile away); "Jupiter" (approx. half a mile away); Streamliners (approx. half a mile away); Schenectady (approx. half a mile away).
 
Regarding Seeley House.
Seeley House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, August 16, 2007
2. Seeley House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
John H. Seeley purchased the land here probably soon after 1850. A native of Westphalia, Germany, Seeley and his brother Christian arrived in this country in or around 1845. He was a cabinet maker and had earlier served in the Prussian army as a bugler for three years. Sometime soon after making Glenville his new home, Seeley went back to Germany and returned with his family in tow.



In 1851, he purchased the land the house is now on from Volney Freeman, a prominent Schenectadian who owned property on both sides of the river. It was Freeman who in 1855 built the first Freeman’s Bridge, linking his two parcels of property as well as Schenectady and the town of Glenville. Previously, Freeman had owned the ferry business that had crossed the Mohawk at that point. Soon afterwards Freeman moved to Peoria, IL



Broom corn was big business in Schenectady County throughout much of the 19th century and Seeley turned his farm — at its height covering 360 acres — into one of the most successful broom corn farms in the area. (Bill Buell in The Daily Gazette, March 29, 2009) Broom corn is actually an extra long variety of common sorghum.


 
Also see . . .
1. Making a Broom from Broom Corn. (Submitted on November 1, 2018.)
2. Bridging the Mohawk. (Submitted on November 1, 2018.)

 
Seeley House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, August 16, 2007
3. Seeley House Marker
Seeley House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, October 24, 2018
4. Seeley House Marker
View towards the Mohawk River
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 24, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.   2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   4. submitted on October 24, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125398

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 11, 2021