Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Woodbridge Township Municipal Building
Woodbridge was 255 years old before it dedicated its first official Town Hall on June 14, 1924 at 1 Main Street.
Political decisions in 17th-century Woodbridge were made at the Town Meeting House (later the site of the First Presbyterian Church), under supervision of a County Court consisting of a Justice, two Magistrates and a Clerk. The first Town Committee was created in 1705 – seven men chosen for one-year terms “to act for the town in all matters relating to its welfare except the disposition of land and the raising of money.” By the 1770s, the office of Moderator was established to preside over the Town Committee; the 1800s saw a gradual addition of municipal services such as a board of health in 1881, a jail in 1883 and a fire company, police department and lighting commission in 1897, sanitation districts in 1920.
By the 1880s, the Town Committee was meeting at the Masonic Building, 94 Green Street. In 1914, voters approved a bond issue to build a permanent Municipal Building on land between Pearl and School Streets, where Tanzman Park now stands. Flooding
J.K. Jensen was selected as architect, and the new Municipal Building opened five years later, dedicated as a memorial to local residents who served in World War I. The three-story edifice featured a six-column portico and individual rooms for use by ex-servicemen. Dedication Day was marked with a parade. dance, fireworks, fire company competitions and an official medal designed by Alfred J. Geiling of Fords.
By the 1990s, the array of municipal services had expanded to the point where a modern building was needed. Town Hall was razed in 1994 and replaced by a new building formally dedicated Feb. 19, 1996.
-More information visit www.wthpc.org Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is February 19, 1996.
Location. 40° 33.32′ N, 74° 16.573′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Rahway Avenue Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Main Street, Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers and Sailors Monument (a few steps from this marker); Purple Heart Memorial (a few steps from this marker); NJ POW Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge Township (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge Police Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); J J Bitting Coal and Feed Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Woodbridge Train Wreck of 1951 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.