Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W. L. and Susan Clayton
Susan Vaughan (1881-1960), born in Kentucky, wed Will Clayton in 1902.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14912.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Women's Suffrage series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 29° 43.542′ N, 95° 23.191′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from Caroline Street north of Calumet Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of the Clayton House Library building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 Caroline Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Clayton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Maurice Joseph Sullivan (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Southend Water Pumping Station (approx. ¼ mile away); The Garden Club of Houston (approx. ¼ mile away); Holland Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Sam Houston (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . . Clayton, William Lockhart - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on March 20, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on October 18, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on March 20, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.