Capps in Jefferson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This excellent example of a "Carpenter Classic" style farmhouse was probably built c. 1836 for Burwell McBride shortly after he moved to Jefferson County from South Carolina. He was the grandfather of Margaret McBride who married Asa May, a wealthy cotton planter. Asa and his wife received the house and land from Margaret's father in 1848. May was one of the wealthiest planters in North Florida, at one time owning more than 3,000 acres of land in Jefferson County alone. Rosewood was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Sponsored by the Florida Department of State
Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State
Erected 1995 by Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-358.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 30° 25.054′ N, 83° 54.648′ W. Marker is in Capps, Florida, in Jefferson County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lamont FL 32336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 175th Anniversary of the Waukeenah United Methodist Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Lamont Community (approx. 6.4 miles away); Digging Deeper (approx. 8½ miles away); The Hunt for the Great Mound (approx. 8½ miles away); Lasting Impressions (approx. 8½ miles away); The Lay of the Land (approx. 8.6 miles away); Letchworth-Love Mounds Archaeological State Park (approx. 8.6 miles away); Howard Academy Elementary and Junior High School (Later Howard Academy High School) Second Street (approx. 9 miles away).
Regarding Rosewood. National Register of Historic Places (1972)
Also see . . . Historic American Buildings Survey: Asa May House. Library of Congress entry:
Evidence indicates that building materials were processed on site. Structural members of heart pine and cypress were "cut and sliced" or hewn. Located at Capps in Jefferson County, the building is presently owned by the Jefferson County Historical Society. (Submitted on November 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 140 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.