Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First Livery Stable
Busiest spot in early Junction. Fed and housed visiting ranch teams. Had horses and buggies for public hire. Men collected here to gossip, trade.
Built 1879 by John Allen on this lot where public corral operated as early as 1877. Owned by T. M. Hodges when outmoded by autos in 1920s.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4410.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 30° 29.293′ N, 99° 45.978′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and South 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 517 College Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Rock Store, 1879 (within shouting distance of this marker); O.C. Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Early History of Kimble County First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major William Addison Spencer (about 300 feet away); John Sterling Durst (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.