Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Congregation Beth Israel

 
 
Congregation Beth Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
1. Congregation Beth Israel Marker
Inscription.  In the 1880s, Jews were well established in the Concho Valley and met for religious observance although they did not have a formal building. By 1926, there were approx 35 Jewish families and individuals in San Angelo, and procedures to erect a synagogue began. The same year, a Sunday School and Young Judea chapter organized. Construction on the synagogue at W. Beauregard Ave. and Milton St. began once land was acquired from H.C. Ragsdale for $1500 on Apr. 7, 1928, with David Goldman as trustee for the congregation. The building dedication occurred on Mar. 24, 1929. Over the years there have been a Hadassah Women's organization, a local chapter of B'nai Brith and a B'nai Brith youth organization, whereby teens held monthly meetings with other Jewish youth in other cities in West Texas. During the 1940s through the 1960s there was a very active Jewish community here, most of whom were owners or associates in the city's retail businesses; many were immigrants or children of immigrants from Eastern Europe.

The synagogue never affiliated with any major division of Judaism, but has always remained independent. The congregation has served
Congregation Beth Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
2. Congregation Beth Israel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
not only the spiritual needs of Jews in San Angelo but also those in many smaller towns, and as far as Midland, Odessa, and Abilene before their synagogues were built. Rabbi David Shnayerson served as spiritual leader from 1951- 1966. Although there are only a few families left now, the congregation has continued to hold weekly and holiday services here since 1928. It is one of the oldest in Texas still doing so in its original building and is the most intact in its outward appearance and design.
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17314.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 24, 1929.
 
Location. 31° 27.214′ N, 100° 27.58′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of West Beauregard Avenue (Business U.S. 67) and South Milton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Beauregard Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1825 West Beauregard Avenue, San Angelo TX 76901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calvary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fairmount Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Homesite of Mrs. Robert Massie (1867-1931)
Congregation Beth Israel image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
3. Congregation Beth Israel
(approx. one mile away); Daniel Millar (approx. 1.1 miles away); ​Johnson Street Church of Christ (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Ingram (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dr. Herbert A. Wardlaw Home (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128098

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2021