Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wall in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Wall Brethren Church

 
 
Wall Brethren Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
1. Wall Brethren Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation dates from summer 1929, when Czech-speaking Brethren families from Granger, Taylor and Rowena moved here. Early services were held in worshipers' homes. In fall 1929, an unused Methodist church in Wall became the place of worship. Records show 28 active members in the first Sunday School and worship services, with 19 communicants gathered to worship the sacrament of Holy Communion in October 1929. The Czech language was spoken in Sunday School and church services. The congregation prevailed upon the Rev. Josef Hegar, then living in Temple, to be the first pastor. In 1933 members formally organized and were received into the Evangelical Unity of the Czech Moravian Brethren (later Unity of the Brethren) at the state convention held in West.

In 1936, members bought a half-acre in Wall for a future church site and met for a time in Fairview. The first permanent church was dedicated in June 1937. At the state convention held in Wall in 1947, the Unity of the Brethren adopted English to replace Czech as the official church language. The growing Wall congregation dedicated a new church in Aug. 1955, with the first church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
remodeled as a fellowship building. New parsonages (1966, 1977), fellowship buildings (1982, 2010) and a new sanctuary (1994) followed as the church continued to grow. Wall Brethren Church supports many community programs, including Boy Scout Troop 321 and a shared community Thanksgiving service with St. Ambrose Catholic Church. Ministries include the Brethren Youth Fellowship (organized 1956) and the Christian Sisters (organized 1937), who support the church financially by baking and selling kolaches. Wall Brethren Church recognizes its rich ethnic history and the diverse backgrounds and traditions of its current members.

175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836 - 2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16801.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. 31° 22.429′ N, 100° 18.553′ W. Marker is in Wall, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on Loop State Highway 570, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7921 Loop 570, Wall TX 76957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. TB-25N Mitchell (approx. 6.9 miles away); RQ-1K Predator (approx. 7 miles
Wall Brethren Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
2. Wall Brethren Church
away); Chaplain, Major General Robert Preston Taylor (approx. 7.2 miles away); R. F. Tankersley Homestead (approx. 7.2 miles away); EC-47 ARDF Operations in Southeast Asia (approx. 7.2 miles away); Goodfellow Field (approx. 7.3 miles away); Charles B. Metcalfe (approx. 7.3 miles away); T-6G Texan (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128099

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024