Dayton in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Dayton
In 1906 the congregation built its first sanctuary. A one-story wooden structure with a bell tower, which continued to serve the members until 1928. A church school also was organized in 1906, and Charles Wilson was elected to serve as the first superintendent.
A series of worship and education facilities were constructed to accommodate the growing congregation through the years, including a large two-story brick building with a basement on the northwest corner of Houston Avenue and Cleveland Street in 1928. Due to continued growth, the 1928 structure was razed in 1980, and the congregation built a new sanctuary in 1981.
After a denominational merger in 1968, the church's name was changed to First United Methodist Church. Throughout the years the congregation has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, social, and missionary programs.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 30° 2.585′ N, 94° 53.375′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cleveland Street and West Houston Street, on the right when traveling south on South Cleveland Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 South Cleveland Street, Dayton TX 77535, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dayton's Old School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Runaway Scrape (approx. ¾ mile away); The Trinity River (approx. 4½ miles away); Lallemand, Riguad and Other French Settlers (approx. 4½ miles away); Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent (approx. 5½ miles away); Seven Pines (approx. 5½ miles away); Plaza Iglesia Parroquial (approx. 5.6 miles away); James B. Woods (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.