Jasper in Jasper County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Included in the Empresario grant to Lorenzo de Zavala in 1829.
Created the municipality of Bevil in 1834, in honor of John Bevil, early settler.
Name changed by the provisional government of Texas, December 3, 1835 to Jasper in honor of William Jasper (1750-1779), a hero of the American Revolution.
Created a county March 17, 1836. Organized December 14, 1837 with Jasper as its county seat.
Famous for its long-leaf pine.
In Memory of
Martin Parmer, Stephen Williams, John Bevil, Thomas B. Huling, M. B. Lewis, R. C. Doom, early settlers.
Wyatt Hanks, Thomas Holmes, John H. Blount, members of the Consultation from Bevil Municipality.
George Washington Smyth, Stephen H. Everitt, signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Col. Anderson Crawford, Maj. Ben. Norsworthy, Major E. T. Seale, Lt. Col. C. R. Beaty, Capt. E. I. Kellie, Confederate Heroes.
Robert Perkins, Thomas Seale, Major W. R. Blackshear, who fell in the World War.
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 14177.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 55.3′ N, 94° 0.026′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Lamar Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker is located in the northwest corner of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 North Austin Street, Jasper TX 75951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jasper County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Jasper County, C. S. A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle-Jim Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Beaty-Orton House (about 700 feet away); Waggoner-Scarborough Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jasper Public Schools (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
Also see . . . Jasper County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.