Newton in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Newton
Located in the easternmost county of Texas, this town was little more than a forest of oaks and beeches when laid out in 1853. Due to its central location, it was elected county seat the same year, winning over Burkeville, the former county seat.
Maj. John Moore, an early settler, built the first house in Newton and also the first courthouse - a two-story frame structure. It was finished in 1856. The second (present) courthouse was finished in 1903.
With the arrival of the Orange and Northwestern Railroad in 1905, Newton began to grow. Buildings increased from four in 1859 (two homes, a store, and a saloon) to 15 in 1913. The town was incorporated (1935) and is the county's only incorporated town.
A formal education system began with the W. H. Ford Male and Female College in 1889. It became part of the public school system in 1906. The first bank - Newton County Bank - was established in 1906. The "Newton News" was printed prior to 1920.
Over the years forest products have been the basis of town's chief industries. Sawmills provided employment, as did plants for manufacturing baskets, turpentine,
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11122.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 30° 50.886′ N, 93° 45.607′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on North Rusk Street (U.S. 190), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in the northeast section of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Court Street, Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. H. Ford Male & Female College (within shouting distance of this marker); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (within shouting distance of this marker); Newton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); William Blewett (within shouting distance of this marker); Newton Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Autrey-Williams House (approx. half a mile away); Woods Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Also see . . . Newton, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.