Bonham in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fannin County Courthouses
This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location. This was replaced in 1888 by a three-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled.
Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-66 with a facade of Leuders stone. It was dedicated by
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8871.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions.
Location. 33° 34.638′ N, 96° 10.723′ W. Marker is in Bonham, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is on East Sam Rayburn Drive (State Highway 56) west of North Center Street (State Highway 78), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located on the Fannin County Courthouse grounds, beside the sidewalk directly in front of the main south courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Sam Rayburn Drive, Bonham TX 75418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spanish-American War Memorial (here, next to this marker); James Butler Bonham (within shouting distance of this marker); Fannin County (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonham Daily Favorite (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wesley Hardin (about 400 feet away); Bonham High School Auditorium and Gymnasium (approx. half a mile away); Bailey Inglish (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sam Rayburn House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bonham.
Also see . . . Fannin County Courthouse. This 1888 Fannin County Courthouse was designed in the Second Empire style of architecture by Waco-based architect Wesley Clark Dodson (1829–1914) of the firm Dodson and Dudley. Its central clock tower and elaborate mansard roof were destroyed by fire on New Year's Eve, December 31, 1929, and were replaced by a flat roof. In 1965 the courthouse was modernized, the remaining roof pediments were removed and the exterior was covered with a smooth surface of what is called Lueders stone or Lueders limestone, so that it now appears to be a Moderne or rather plain Art Deco building. (Submitted on January 14, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.