Osage Orange Tree
The Osage orange became popular in the eastern states after the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-1806. Names after the Osage Tribe of Missouri, the wood of the tree was used to make bows, and the valuable seed heavily traded among American Indians. When settlers began moving west, they found the wood of the tree made excellent wagon wheel rims. When planted in hedgerows, it would quickly gown into an impenetrable fence for livestock that was "horse high, bull strong, and pig tight." With the invention of barbed wire fencing the Osage orange tree fell into disfavor, having thorns and bearing a messy fruit which is inedible for humans, although squirrels like the round, fleshy green fruit immensely.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry.
Location. 37° 1.933′ N, 78° 53.883′ W. Marker is in Brookneal, Virginia, in Campbell County. Marker can be reached from Red Hill Road (Route 677) one mile south of Staunton Hill Road (County Route 619). Marker is about 500 feet from the visitor center. Walk 500 feet south from the Visitor Center towards Patrick Henry's house to locate the marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1250 Red Hill Road, Brookneal VA 24528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick Henry House (here, next to this marker); Slave Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Family Graveyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Last Law Office of Patrick Henry (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Hill Plantation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Hill (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Red Hill (about 400 feet away); Red Hill Scatter Garden (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookneal.
Also see . . . Red Hill Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation. (Submitted on January 16, 2019, by David Lassman of Waldorf, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2019, by David Lassman of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2019, by David Lassman of Waldorf, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.