Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bollack Department Store
Built in 1911 by the architectural firm H.C. Cooke & Co., for Pauline Bollack, a German immigrant from Bavaria, this three story structure has an attractive ornate façade. At the time, it was one of the largest buildings in town and typified the modern department store. It was restored in 2006 by Francisco and Sara Cermeno.
Construido en 1911 por la firma arquitectónica H.C. Cooke & Co. para Pauline Bollack, una inmigrante alemana de Bavaria, el edificio es de tres pisos y tiene una fachada atractiva y ornamentada. En aquel entonces era una de los edificios mas grandes en la ciudad y ejemplificaba un emporio moderno. Fue restaurado en el 2006 por Francisco y Sara Cermeño.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 25° 54.054′ N, 97° 29.87′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1223 East Elizabeth Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Román Building (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Court Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Celaya Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman (about 400 feet away); Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (about 500 feet away); Public Market and Town Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Also see . . . Bollack Department Store (1911). Mrs. Bollack arrived in Brownsville by way of New Orleans in 1878 and opened a dry goods store on 12th Street opposite Market Square. She moved to this three story structure when she expanded her business. Her son and several clerks helped run the store which was renowned for good bargains and good service. A variety of commodities were available at the Bollack department store which included dry goods, leather goods, furniture, clocks, hats, ladies’ apparel, and sewing supplies. (Submitted on January 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.