Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hollywood in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

United Methodist Church

 
 
United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, November 27, 2018
1. United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  First United Methodist Church, 1930. A Gothic revival edifice constructed of steel and exposed concrete, standing as a visual beacon in the heart of Hollywood.
 
Erected 1981 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 248.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
 
Location. 34° 6.255′ N, 118° 20.33′ W. Marker is in Hollywood, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Franklin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6817 Franklin Ave, Los Angeles CA 90068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Villa Bonita (within shouting distance of this marker); The Magic Castle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Los Angeles Dodgers (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Capitan Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chinese Heaven Dogs
United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, November 27, 2018
2. United Methodist Church Marker
The marker is to the right of the doors.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Chinese Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Max Factor Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Egyptian Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hollywood.
 
Regarding United Methodist Church. The first congregants started to organize in 1909. Church construction began in 1927, and the church opened in 1930.

The building was designed by Thomas P. Barber, and based in part on the English Gothic style of Westminster Hall in London.

Inside the tower is the historic Martindale Carillon, dedicated on December 8, 1945. These tubular bells were donated by the Charles Martindale family in honor of their two children who died on July 20, 1907 when the S.S. Columbia collided with the freighter S.S. Livingston. Consisting of 32 tubular bells, the carillon weighs nine tons, one of the largest of its kind.

In December 1981 the church was declared Historic-Cultural Monument #248 by the City of Los Angeles.
 
Also see . . .  More details about this Deagan tubular chime. (Submitted on September 5, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.)
 
United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, November 27, 2018
3. United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128905

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021