Pomona in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Built about 1840 by Ygnacio Alvarado.
Chapel served by San Gabriel Mission.
Pomona's first public school.
Dr. B. S. Nichols family home 1886-1951.
1951, Alfonso B. Fages home.
Erected 1954 by Native Daughters of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 34° 4.431′ N, 117° 45.351′ W. Marker is in Pomona, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from Old Settlers Lane south of Hacienda Place, on the right when traveling south. This is a private home, not open to the public. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1459 Old Settlers Ln, Pomona CA 91768, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. La Casa Primera Dedication (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Casa Primera (about 500 feet away); Pomona Assembly Center (approx. First Home of Pomona College (approx. 1.3 miles away); Adobe de Palomares (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Haugh Residence (approx. 2 miles away); Lordsburg Townsite (approx. 2.1 miles away); La Casa de Carrion (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pomona.
Regarding Casa Alvarado. In 1840, Ygnacio Palomares invited his friend, Ygnacio Alvarado, to live on his ranch, and gave him a plot of land near Palomares' own home, La Casa Primera. The land was given to Alvarado with the stipulation that Alvarado would build a chapel in his home to be used for church services when padres visited from Mission San Gabriel. The large 18 by 42 foot living room of the Casa Alvarado was used for church services for 45 years. It was also the site of the first public school classes in the Pomona Valley, starting in 1870. The house remained in the Alvardo family from 1840 to 1886, when it was purchased by Dr. Nichols and his family. The house remained in the Nichols family for 65 years. In 1951, Alphonse and Isabel Fages purchased the home, with plans to restore and preserve it. Today the home is still a private
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 141 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.