Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Mary Allen Seminary

 
 
Mary Allen Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
1. Mary Allen Seminary Marker
Inscription.  In 1886 the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, under the leadership of the group's secretary the Rev. Richard Allen, began planning for the establishment of a black girls' school in Texas. After a statewide survey, they chose Crockett as the school site because of the area's large black population and because of a local black parochial school operated by the Rev. Samuel Fisher Tenny, pastor of the city's First Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Allen's wife Mary, for whom the school was named, was instrumental in raising the organizational funds for the new seminary.

Dr. Byrd R. Smith became the school's first black president in 1924 and initiated a period of growth which included the adoption of new programs and the admission of male students. Transferred to the Missionary General Baptist Convention of Texas in 1944, Mary Allen College became a 4-year liberal arts institution. In 1972, plagued by a series of legal and financial setbacks, the school closed.

Once the site of a 12-building campus and the home of a noted academic program of quality education and religion, this site serves
Mary Allen Seminary Ruins image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
2. Mary Allen Seminary Ruins
Click or scan to see
this page online
as a reminder of the proud heritage of Texas' black population.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7056.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 31° 19.67′ N, 95° 27.603′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street (U.S. 287) and Spring, on the left when traveling north on North 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1042 North 4th Street, Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of the Crockett Hotel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Five Courthouses of Houston County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Crockett (approx. 0.7 miles away); Strode-Pritchett Log Cabin (approx. 0.7 miles away); W.V. McConnell Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Houston County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
 
Also see . . .  Mary Allen Junior College - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 158 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128933

Paid Advertisement
May. 8, 2021