Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colton in Whitman County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Colton

 
 
Colton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 12, 2016
1. Colton Marker
Inscription.  Famous for its annual Christmas Lights Celebration, Colton is well situated as a bedroom community between Pullman and Clarkston. Descendants of some of its early German settlers continue to farm wheat, garbanzo beans, peas, barley, and bluegrass.

The Colton story began in 1879 when L. J. Wolford, Roy Woodworth and Dr. Cole left Uniontown and decided to found a town of their own. They acquired the property from Gregory Koshier and the town was platted that year. The name Colton came from the first three letters of Dr. Cole's last name and the last three letters of Mr. Wolford's son, Clinton.

The Steptoe Canyon Road that runs through town was the best route to the river grain terminals, helping to ensure the early success of local businesses.

A • St. Gall Church was named for a 6th century Irish disciple who spent part of his life as a hermit in the forests of Switzerland. Built in 1905, the church has retained its original architecture and stained glass windows.

B • For a scenic drive along backcountry roads, take Rimrock Road from Colton to Steptoe Canyon Road down to the Snake River.
Marker detail: Map image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Map
Click or scan to see
this page online
Colonel Steptoe and his troops retreated along this canyon route, after an unsuccessful battle with Palouse Indians near Rosalia.

From here, you can go...
14 miles north to Pullman:

Pullman, home to Washington State University, features unique restaurants, shops, galleries and boutiques. Visit the WSU campus to see the beautiful architectural blending of both classic and contemporary styles. Afterwards enjoy a meal at one of Pullman's many fine pubs and restaurants.

3 miles south to Uniontown:
St. Boniface Catholic Church, completed in 1905, was the first consecrated Catholic Church in Washington. The church houses the original five altars, statues, stained glass windows, painted decor, wooden pews and oil painted Stations of the Cross.

Over 1,000 wagon wheels form a whimsical fence at the Dahmen Barn. With open artist studios, a gallery, and gift shop, this energetic non-profit “cultivates creativity on the Palouse.”

Suggested Day Trip:
Picnic, boat, and camp at Wawawai County Park in the Snake River Canyon about three miles upstream from Lower Granite Dam. Follow the interpretive trail to learn about the canyon’s geology, history, and natural features. Stop by the unique earth-sheltered ranger residence.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location.
Colton Marker (<i>wide view; Colton Town Hall in background - left</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 12, 2016
3. Colton Marker (wide view; Colton Town Hall in background - left)
46° 34.072′ N, 117° 7.682′ W. Marker is in Colton, Washington, in Whitman County. Marker is on Broadway Street (U.S. 195) east of Steptoe Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located beside the sidewalk on the south side of the street, on the Colton Town Hall grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 Broadway Street, Colton WA 99113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewiston Hill (approx. 9.1 miles away in Idaho); Steamboats (approx. 9.1 miles away in Idaho); Bert Zimmerly (approx. 9.2 miles away in Idaho); Lewis Clark State College (approx. 9.8 miles away in Idaho); Mackenzie's Post (approx. 9.8 miles away in Idaho); The First Capital (approx. 9.8 miles away in Idaho); Lewis & Clark Almost Slept Here (approx. 10½ miles away); University of Idaho (approx. 10½ miles away in Idaho).
 
More about this marker. Marker is a large, framed composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high metal posts.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129097

Paid Advertisement
May. 8, 2021