Near Coleman in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Meeting under a bush-arbor in 1867, seventeen members constituted the Vilulah Baptist Church. They named it after the loved hymn-tune -- Vilulia in the old Sacred Harp Song Book -- afterward shortening the name to its present spelling.
Land was given for the church by “Uncle Bobby” Knowles. The committee appointed to choose the church name were James N. Bigbie, who lost an arm while serving with the U.S. Army in the Mexican War, and Captain William Forsythe Davis of the Confederate Army. These and the following were honored founders of Vilulah Community: Albert Bailey, who gave land for the school, Jarrett Ragan, Abner Belcher, Judge Irvine Saunders, Baal Smith, Dr. Thomas Bigbie, A.S.A. McLendon, Alexander Morgan, Andrew Blackburn, Benjamin Joiner.
This roadside park was sponsored by the Vilulah Community Improvement Club, Winner of awards in the Chattahoochee Valley Contests of 1952-1953.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 31° 37.233′ N, 84° 52.133′ W. Marker is near Coleman, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 160 and County Route 153, on the left on County Route 160. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman GA 39836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sutton's Crossroads (approx. 1.9 miles away); Oakland High School (approx. 2˝ miles away); Weston C. Lee Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mt. Gilead Baptist Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Old Cotton Hill Seminary (approx. 9˝ miles away); 1814 Boundary / Founding of Fort Gaines (approx. 10.4 miles away); Oketeyeconne / Chattahoochee Theater (approx. 10.4 miles away); Historic Sites (approx. 10.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally erected in a roadside park on US 27 about eight miles south of Cuthbert, but was later moved to its present location at the Vilulah Church (apparently in the late 1980s or early 1990s).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,042 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.