Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smithville in DeKalb County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Dekalb County

 
 
Dekalb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 10, 2013
1. Dekalb County Marker
Inscription.  Established 1837; named in honor of Baron Johann De Kalb, the Bavarian officer who accompanied Lafayette to America in 1777. Appointed a Major General in the Continental Army, he was killed at the Battle of Camden in 1780 while commanding Delaware and Maryland troops.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 35° 57.65′ N, 85° 48.778′ W. Marker is in Smithville, Tennessee, in DeKalb County. Memorial is at the intersection of Public Square and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Public Square. Marker is located directly in front of the DeKalb County Courthouse main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Public Square, Smithville TN 37166, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial DeKalb County Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); Darrin Vincent (within shouting distance of this marker); DeKalb County in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); DeKalb County Confederate Monument
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Evins' Old Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Beckwith Inn (approx. 2.7 miles away); Battle of Snow Hill (approx. 7.1 miles away); Confederate Guerrilla (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
 
More about this marker. Marker is an embossed metal tablet, mounted horizontally at ground-level, in the center of the walkway & plaza in front of the DeKalb County Courthouse main entrance.
 
Also see . . .
1. DeKalb County, Tennessee. Historians believe that the first settlers in the county came from Maryland in 1797. The county was created by the General Assembly of Tennessee on December 2, 1837 and was named for Revolutionary War hero Major General Johann de Kalb. DeKalb County was formed from land in Cannon, Warren and White counties. (Submitted on February 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. General Baron Johann DeKalb. During the French and Indian War, DeKalb was sent to the colonies as a secret agent to determine the attitude of the colonists toward the British. He traveled extensively throughout
Dekalb County Marker (<i>wide view; marker visible at center of walkway</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 10, 2013
2. Dekalb County Marker (wide view; marker visible at center of walkway)
the colonies, clandestinely observing the temperament of the colonists. When he returned to Paris, his report to the French government told of the dissatisfaction of the colonies with British rule. Two decades later, a representative of those same disgruntled colonists, Benjamin Franklin, would appeal for assistance from the French, in their fight for Independence from Britain. When Lafayette decided to aid the American cause, he persuaded Baron DeKalb to accompany him. (Submitted on February 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Dekalb County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 10, 2013
3. Dekalb County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129993

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024