Castroville in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Construction of the church building began in 1853, with a loan for $400 secured from the General Synod. Congregants provided the rock, sand and timbers. A parsonage was erected next to the church using the remaining stone. The church prospered and became an important part of the Castroville community. Pastor Oefinger held Castroville's first public school classes in the Lutheran church building in 1857.
The parsonage was replaced with a frame building in 1922. The original stone church served the congregation until 1939, when it was replaced by a new brick building. An education annex was dedicated in 1949. The "Fuos Haus" beside the church building was purchased in 1959 for use
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church remains an active ministry within the community, following the example set forth by the members' ancestors throughout the church's history.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12327.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is January 29, 1852.
Location. 29° 21.372′ N, 98° 52.572′ W. Marker is in Castroville, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is on Fiorella Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1106 Fiorella Street, Castroville TX 78009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Homestead of Henri Castro (a few steps from this marker); Henri Castro (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Dolch-Hans Compound (about 500 feet away); Biry-Ahr Property (about 600 feet away); Cordier-Tschirhart-Seal House (about 600 feet away); Landmark Inn Complex (about 700 feet away); Vance Hotel and Store (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castroville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.