Castroville in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First County Courthouse
Erected 1854; first permanent courthouse in Castroville, the first seat (1848-1892) of Medina County. When built, structure was on old road to San Antonio.
This building took place of temporary office space which County Court had used 6 years. It was built by Joseph Burger and has 18-inch-thick walls of native limestone.
Additions to original building include one-story wings on both sides and outside staircase to the second floor.
After Hondo became County Seat this building was used as a school; now houses City Hall.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1724.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 29° 21.423′ N, 98° 52.609′ W. Marker is in Castroville, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is on Fiorella Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1209 Fiorella Street, Castroville TX 78009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Homestead of Henri Castro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away); Henri Castro (about 700 feet away); Alsatians of Texas (about 800 feet away); General Wool and the Chihuahua Road (about 800 feet away); St. Louis Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Louis Day (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Louis Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castroville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.