Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gettysburg's First Municipal Water Supply
This well and a nearby spring were the first sources of municipal water service provided to the town of Gettysburg.
In 1822 the Gettysburg Water Company acquired this property along with the well and spring, and channeled the water to their reservoir atop the hill near the intersection of E. High and Stratton Streets. Distribution from the reservoir throughout the town was accomplished by way of buried wooden pipe fashioned from bored-out logs, "grooved to fit at the ends." (See original section in the rear of this well foundation.)
In 1860 a small frame structure was constructed over the well which was replaced in the early 1870's wit ha new and larger "tasteful building."
By the mid-1890's nearby Marsh Creek had replaced this and other local wells as Gettysburg's principal source of water. At about this time, Mr. Robert Caldwell acquired the lot and built the brick home (to your left), incorporating the spring in its cellar and dismantling the old well building.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Natural Resources. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 39° 49.468′ N, 77° 13.868′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Baltimore Street (Business U.S. 15) south of Locust Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 451 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Civil War Comes to Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); Caught in the Crossfire (a few steps from this marker); The John Rupp House and Tannery Site (a few steps from this marker); The Wagon Hotel on Cemetery Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); ...Lincoln passed by... (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Street: An Historic Corridor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Evolution of Gettysburg's "Common School" (about 300 feet away); "if anyone showed himself…" (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear daylight photo of the marker. • Clear daylight context photo. • Can you help?