St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The houses on this post are known as the Officers' Quarters. St. Francis Barracks commanding officer from 1875 to 1883, Brevet Brig. Gen. Frederick Dent, lobbied for this construction. Dent allegedly asked First Lady Julia Dent Grant, his sister, to assist him in obtaining the needed funds through President Ulysses S. Grant's budget. They were successful, and drawings were approved in 1882 with construction following soon after.
The Victorian architecture is typical of government designed buildings of the time. These houses are strikingly similar to the buildings at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 29° 53.216′ N, 81° 18.571′ W. Marker was in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 82 Marine Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. St. Francis Barracks (here, next to this marker); Florida’s First Muster Site (here, next to this marker); Patriot Parade Field (a few steps from this marker); Parade Field Structures (a few steps from this marker); Operation New Dawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Operation Iraqi Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); King's Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); Persian Gulf War (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . St. Francis Barracks / U.S. Military Installation (Wikipedia). St. Francis Barracks came under control of the United States Army when the United States gained possession of Florida in 1821. The Barracks would remain an active U.S. Army installation until it was deactivated in 1900, with the exception of one year between 1861-1862 when it, like the rest of St. Augustine was under control of the Confederate States of America. (Submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.