Junction City in Geary County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
7th Street East & West of Washington
130 West Seventh Street:
This building was apparently built before the turn-of-the-century. It housed Gross Furniture, a firm dating to 1860. Later it was occupied by various groceries, cafes, and shops.
103 West 7th Street:
George Smith Public Library
When George Smith, suffering from a terminal illness, shot himself on the morning of January 5, 1905 and died five days later, few persons knew that he had left behind arrangements for a $75,000 library (4,000 original volumes) that would still be serving the community many decades later.
The building at 103 West 7th was constructed by Ziegler Brothers for $28,939. The plumbing and heating was installed by F. F. Ziegler at a cost of $2,584. Lighting was handled by the Electric Railway Light and Ice Company for a cost of $675.
The George Smith Public Library opened on St. Patrick's Day in 1908 and has served as our library until shortly before its 75th anniversary in February of 1983 when its doors were closed for the move to a new modern structure at 230 West 7th Street.
The original building continues to serve Junction City. It
117-119 West Seventh Street:
F.L. Durland started his furniture and funeral business in Junction City in 1883. This limestone building was built in 1912. Note the marble pillar and the lead colored beveled glass in the transom above the first floor windows.
119 East Seventh Street:
This building was built in 1909 as the Junction City Salvation Army Citadel. The native limestone building was styled with a crenellated roofline and a facade to resemble the fortress for which it was named. The interior featured a pressed tin ceiling and elegant frescoed and painted borders highlighting the walls. The building seated 350, and a raised stage area ran the width of the south end. In 1986 Clarabell Van Nahmen purchased the building and saved it from demolition. The building was completely renovated and Clarabell's Dance Citadel was dedicated on May 17, 1987.
Photographs courtesy of Geary County Historical Society
Topics. Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 1.765′ N, 96° 49.777′ W. Marker is in Junction City, Kansas, in Geary County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street (Alternate U.S. 77) and West 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on North Washington Street. Marker is located along the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the intersection, facing north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 North Washington Street, Junction City KS 66441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 600 Block Washington Street (here, next to this marker); George Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); 700 Block Washington Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 800 Block Washington Street (about 300 feet away); Civil War Memorial Arch (about 500 feet away); State of Kansas Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (about 700 feet away); 1st Infantry Division Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction City.
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. George Smith Public Library
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 29, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on March 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.