Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinsburg in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John Street

Washington Heritage Trail

 
 
Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, April 15, 2019
1. Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John Street Marker
Inscription.  Built in the mid-1870s by Philip Showers, who owned the adjacent stone house (the Adam Stephen House) at that time, the Triple Brick Building was listed in early tax records as the "Tribble (Triple) House" or "the brick house divided into three dwellings." Because Martinsburg was an important railroad center during the post Civil War-period, and due to the location's close proximity to the railroad, the apartments in the structure were rented out to railroad workers and their families. The structure is one of the earliest examples of apartment building housing in Martinsburg. The house was donated to the city of Martinsburg by William Evers in 1959, and it was remodeled by the General Adam Stephen Memorial Association during the 1970s, opening as a town museum in 1981. The Triple Brick Building now contains a museum of artifacts and memorabilia of life in old Martinsburg, including various items related to the industrial, social, and cultural history of the town from the 1700s to the mid-1900s. Late-18th century china, glassware and pottery shards which were uncovered during archaeological excavations on the Adam Stephen House property
Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, April 15, 2019
2. Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John Street Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
are also on display.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia, Washington Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
 
Location. 39° 27.269′ N, 77° 57.62′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on East John Street east of South Water Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 East John Street, Martinsburg WV 25401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adam Stephen House – 309 East John Street (a few steps from this marker); Triple Brick Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam Stephen House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Adam Stephen (within shouting distance of this marker); General Adam Stephen House and Triple Brick Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); First Electrified House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone House (about 500 feet away); Old Methodist Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132401

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022