Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brayton Flying Field

World War II Air Training School

 

— (4.1 mi. NE, on Hwy. FM 766) —

 
Brayton Flying Field Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. Brayton Flying Field Marker
Inscription.  In 1939 when the Nazis threatened world conquest, the United States had immediate need for thousands of pilots - more than could be trained at military fields alone. Aid was enlisted from civilian flying schools. One field was established in Cuero under direction of Clyde E. Brayton; veteran pilot whose first licenses (1926-1931) were signed by air pioneer Orville Wright. Cuero provided land; Brayton put in facilities and enrolled the first class in March 1941. A staff of 550 civilians and 100 military men trained 6,611 students who flew 335,000 hours. The field received awards for safety and meritorious service. It ceased operating in August 1944.

Favorable flying conditions made Texas the site of 17 civilian training schools, located at Ballinger, Bonham, Brady, Coleman, Corsicana, Cuero, Dallas, Fort Stockton, Fort Worth, Houston, Stamford, Sweetwater, Paris, Terrell, Uvalde, Vernon and Wichita Falls.

Personnel in the United States Army Air Forces increased from 21,556 in 1939 to almost 2,500,000 in 1944; many received training at civilian schools. These installations also trained airmen for Brazil, China, England, France
Brayton Flying Field Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. Brayton Flying Field Marker
Marker is the closest to the camera of the three markers visible in this photo.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Mexico. Their work was an important contribution toward Allied victory.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5907.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1941.
 
Location. 29° 5.369′ N, 97° 17.37′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Main Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Texas Bandstands (a few steps from this marker); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (a few steps from this marker); St. Michael's Catholic Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 700 feet away); Buchel Bank (about 700 feet away); DeWitt County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Witt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Also see . . .  Cuero Field - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132551

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 2, 2022