Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
Sunday School was organized Jan. 2, 1887. Ladies' Aid was formed in 1889 to raise funds for building. The first church building, erected in 1889, installed a copper ship's bell previously used on the Lutheran church in Indianola. First parsonage was built 1905; present church, 1939, with old copper bell as prayer bell; second parsonage, 1953; Fellowship Hall, 1959.
The Luther League was organized 1902; Brotherhood, 1918; Women's Missionary Society, 1921, merging with Ladies' Aid, 1955. Dr. L. C. Kleinecke was Sunday School superintendent 1889-1949. Ten pastors served from 1886 to 1972: J. Butterman, Cornelius Ziesman, John Hurtzig, Reinhold Schubert, William Utesch, A. A. Hahn (two terms), Frank F. Eberhardt, John W. Kern, John A. Jacobs, H. A. Hanson. St. Mark's
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5058.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1886.
Location. 29° 5.598′ N, 97° 17.432′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Esplanade Street (U.S. 87/183) and West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on North Esplanade Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North Esplanade Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Breeden House (about 400 feet away); Proctor-Green House (about 500 feet away); Heaton-Breeden House (about 500 feet away); English-German School (about 600 feet away); General August C. Buchel (about 700 feet away); The Edward Mügge House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.