King Ferry in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 248.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list.
Location. 42° 40.356′ N, 76° 37.18′ W. Marker is in King Ferry, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on New York State Route 34-B, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1049 NY-34B, King Ferry NY 13081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Northville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Town of Genoa (approx. 1.9 miles away); Genoa Mill (approx. 4.2 miles away); Train Depot (approx. 4.6 miles away); Indian Fields (approx. 5.3 miles away); Sullivan Trail (approx. 6 miles away); Wells College (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King Ferry.
Regarding Site Of. In 1794 Jabez Bradley purchased the land on which his home once stood, part of the Town of Milton, now Genoa, formed in 1789. Town records show Bradley’s involvement in local government from 1794 until shortly before his death in 1817, holding various elected positions as a Commissioner of Highways, Overseer of Highways, Fence Viewer and Poundkeeper. In 1805, Bradley gave land to the Union Society, later the First Presbyterian Church of Genoa of which he was a founding member, to construct a meeting house. Between 1805 and 1806, Bradley provided building materials and paid many of the workers to construct the new meeting house. His account books further show his philanthropic contributions to his community as he also paid for shingles and siding for the town’s new schoolhouse, as well as room and board for the workers.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2019, by Deryn Pomeroy of Syracuse, New York. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 36 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 30, 2019, by Deryn Pomeroy of Syracuse, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker within its surroundings • Can you help?