“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baldwinsville in Onondaga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

World War II

World War II Marker image. Click for full size.
1. World War II Marker
Inscription.  Site of New York Ordnance Works 1942-1945. Manufactured "Explosive D" used in armor piercing shells.
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 237.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list.
Location. 43° 10.113′ N, 76° 18.023′ W. Marker is in Baldwinsville, New York, in Onondaga County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8233 NY-631, Baldwinsville NY 13027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. On This Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Willett Tract (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Presbyterian (approx. 1.7 miles away); Log Cabin Site (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Old Yard (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nathan Teall (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mrs. I.L. Crego House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baldwinsville.
Regarding World War II.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
As the United States mobilized for the Second World War, military production increased significantly. Factories sprung up across the nation and workers produced uniforms, ammunition, weapons, and vehicles. At this site in the Town of Lysander once stood the New York Ordnance Works. From 1942 to 1945, this munitions plant produced ammonium picrate or Dunnite aka "Explosive D” which was used in armor piercing shells during WWII. After the war the Ordnance Works ceased production and was abandoned; little by little it was dismantled. Today there is only a small remnant that still exists.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2019, by Deryn Pomeroy of Syracuse, New York. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 81 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on April 30, 2019, by Deryn Pomeroy of Syracuse, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Thank you.
Paid Advertisements

Dec. 9, 2023